TGA File Format Specification
|Color||32-bit, 24-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit|
|Platforms||Windows, MS-DOS, UNIX, Amiga|
|No. of supported Applications||More than 200 applications.|
What do you understand by TGA file format?
TGA format stands for Truevision Advanced Raster Graphic Adapter(TARGA). This file format specially created to be used with the high-end Targa and vista graphics cards. TGA formats are raster image files that range from 8-bit to 32 bit. It can be compressed to avoid large file sizes. This file format have ability to handle images with up to sixteen million unique colors. TGA format developed by Truevisions. This file format used mostly used by 3D computer animators. It support a full eight-bit alpha channel and has a guarantee of quality because of the nonlossy nature of the compression. In TGA file image data is compressed on a row by row basis. The TARGA file format is one of the top choices for video production. This format is used on many different platforms world-wide for a variety of image storage, processing, processing and analysis needs.
This format is broken up into two sections that make up the images file header and the image’s color data.
- Header- In header, TGA file stores information about the image data and how it is represented and stored.
- Color Data- The data section consists of the color information for the image.
TGA supports some file types
TGA file support compression using run-length encoding. This encoding work by recording consecutive pixels using a single value rather than writing each of them out repeatedly. It’s file type as:-
- Uncompresses and compressed luminance images.
- Uncompresses and compressed RGB images.
- Uncompressed and compressed RGBA images.
Common problems with TGA File
- TGA file may be infected by the virus.
- TGA files damaged due to software failure.
- Windows Registry has been damaged or removed.
- Due to improper computer turned off may be file corrupted.
- TGA file corrupt due to occurs by using the incompatible program.
How to Open TARGA file?
- STEP1: Select the TGA file, Right click the TGA.
- STEP2: Now, choose Open with option & select default program.
- STEP3: If default program option not available, then choose Adobe Phototshop, GIMP in the list of the program.
- STEP4: Click Ok.
List of program that open TGA file
- Adobe Photoshop CC
- Adobe illustrator CC
- Paint Shop Pro
- ACDSee Classic
- Nero multimedia Suite
This article describes the concept of TGA. It is mostly used by video production. This file format developed by Truevisions. Also tell us about it supported file types, ways to open TGA file, and common problems with TGA file. This file supported by more than 200 applications.